How do I...
...clone or copy a chapter?
Clone is only available in your Workshops. This allows any workshop member to make a clone of a chapter inside a workshop story and then perform edits or add comments while leaving the original chapter untouched. This is great for jointly written stories or for beta editing.
Copy is available in My Stories and in your Workshops. You can make a copy of your chapter and move it to another story, or just keep a copy of it in your current story. Use it as a fast way to move a work in progress chapter from an Off-List or Workshop story to a published story.
Use these tools to keep original chapters untouched while you do edits and try variations.
Cloning a chapter in a Workshop
- Be sure you are logged in.
- Go to the Workshop section and to your Workshop.
- Go to the story you want to clone chapters in.
- In the list of chapters, you see three options EditCloneDelete, and select Clone.
Alternately, go to the chapter and click Clone Chapter, right next to Copy Chapter.
- The cloned chapter is now created, and you are taken to it.
- Remember to Return to Story Overview. The chapter number is still set at zero and to place it where you want in the list of chapters you must give it a number.
Now you and the other members of your Workshop can edit it like any other chapter.
Copying a chapter in My Stories or in a Workshop
- Again, be sure you are logged in.
- Find the story you want to copy from, either in your Workshop or through My Stories.
- Go to the chapter you want to copy.
- Click on the Copy Chapter button at the top of the chapter.
- You are taken to another page to select a story from the drop-down list and click to add this chapter to that story.
Then: once you have copied the chapter to the other story (for instance from a beta or workshop version of a story you are working on), you leave the current story and go to the other story's overview. This lets you put some finishing touches on the chapter, for example to make it ready for publication.
Remember to set a chapter number on your new chapter and set it to "Public" so it can be viewed!
And that's all there is to it!